49ers beat writer Cam Iman posted an interesting Instagram photo of what the 49ers actually got back for Alex Smith. Since GM Trent Baalke likes to wheel and deal quite a bit, it’s kind of hard to follow what the true return was. Here is the simple and complicated diagram from Cam.
A Bro asked Ms Lohan what was her first pick for fantasy football. Surprisingly, she decided to respond and the answer was Niners. If you play fantasy football you know this answer is awesome. As a Niners fan, I’m not sure if I am happy or not. Does this mean that Kap is banging her? Maybe, that explains the 4 turnover game versus the Bears last weekend.
The 49ers hosted the Chicago Bears for their first regular season home game. Besides the disappointing ending, Levi’s and the 49ers have definitely improved some of the gameday issues that have been haunting them since the Earthquakes opener on August 2. There are still issues (namely traffic issues) that definitely still need to be reworked and improved, but we have to give them props for already improving on the public transportation in and out of the area. Don’t forget to bookmark our Levi’s Stadium Gameday Information page for one stop access to everything you need on gameday!
The parking lots were supposed to open 4 hours before kickoff, but a select group of fans who were selected for early tailgate were allowed to enter 5 hours before the game. It didn’t seem like most fans cared about either of these times, as fans were in their cars lined up outside the parking lots 5.5 to 6 hours before kick off time. Many fans just busted out their chairs and cracked open a beer on the side of the road while waiting.
After the 5 hour mark lapsed, and 49ers workers could see that most of the fans parked outside the parking lots were not early-tailgate-eligible, they opened the lots to everyone in order to alleviate the traffic that was at a standstill.
For those who showed up around the time the lots opened early (5 hours before), getting in was easy, and traffic was minimal. For those showing up around 4 hours early or less, we heard reports from several fans that it took them 2 hours to go down Lawrence Expwy from 101 to Tasman due to all the cars trying to cut in. Fans were even getting out of their cars and urinating on the side of the road.
Light Rail trains were a little crowded, but from what we heard, there were plenty of trains and you were able to get on without any issues.
Getting into the stadium was quick and painless. Even on the northwest side, which seems like the main entrance that most people will be entering from, there was no wait. 501 lucky fans got a Golden Commemorative Ticket which came with an “extra special prize”……a $50 gift card to …surprise, surprise, any Levi’s Store.
Jeremy Renner opened, Snoop Dogg performed at the half, and we made some bad plays in the second half….
The food lines were long, but moving, most of the bathrooms had no or minimal lines, but the lines to get into the team store were long until the end of the game. Before the game, they did have other games playing on the TV’s around the stadium. They also added a Yahoo Fantasy Football trivia game. Those with seats in the sun were blasted with heat while the sun was up, but we haven’t seen anything about any more health scares due to the heat. The fans definitely showed up though, as the sound level was pretty impressive.
If people were parked in the lots, the ones who booked it out of the stadium as soon as the game ended, and walked quickly to their cars had no issues leaving the outer lots. Most fans, however, who waited for escalators, or walked with the crowd’s speed, ended up getting stuck in the parking lots for 2-3 hours. Lesson: Even if you wait until the game is over (as you should!), you can get out of the parking lot quickly if you hurry to your car. I think the lot main green lot and VIP Red right outside the stadium had a hard time due to the pedestrian and VTA traffic. I am not sure if there is a quick fix for fans parked in those lots.
The VTA Light Rail was the easiest and most painless way to enter and exit for this game. They had trains leaving the stations every 5 minutes, and many extra cars available due to the newly installed pocket tracks. We have since read that due to the car traffic that was stuck because of the VTA trains, they are considering decreasing the rate that trains leave in order to help speed up the rate at which cars can exit the inner parking lots. This may make using VTA the next game to leave slightly less efficient, but we still say that may be the best option for most fans as of right now. There were many empty buses lined up and ready to whisk fans away, but many also got stuck in the street traffic.
- VTA Light Rail, so far, seems like the quickest and easiest way into and out of the stadium area. Be wary that they may slow down the pace of the trains the next game to help alleviate traffic issues.
- If you are driving, arrive early! There are plenty of parking spots, but you will have to fight through hours of sitting in traffic if you come too late.
- If you are driving and parked at one of the outer lots, you have a chance to leave quickly without any traffic if you exit the stadium immediately after the game is over, and walk quickly to your car.
- If you are trying to go to the team store, try going on a non-game day. The lines were long until the end of the game.
- PRO TIP: Cheering loudly while the other team is on offense = GOOD. Cheering loudly while the 49ers are running a play on offense = NO GOOD.
- Sorry, no food pics today.
Antonie Bethea absolutely destroys Dez Bryant on this hit. It’s fun to forward and rewind this and Dez Bryant looks like a slinky!
You can create your own Madden gif of your favorite NFL (49er) players in Madden’s new Giferator. Check out some below and get hyped for this Sunday’s game!
Wanna see some players up close? Fork up $80k+ to be one of the 500 fans who can see players walking through the BNY Mellon East club on the way to the field, as well as have access to a patio area on the field between the 30 yard lines.
After cutting their public training camp practice short on Wednesday due to poor field conditions, the 49ers are planning to re-sod their new Levi’s Stadium field before Sunday’s game against the San Diego Chargers. Thanks to the video above from CSN Bay Area, we can see what the field looks like now and then.
Here are some basic things we found on the grass that is at Levi’s Stadium:
Grass type: Bermuda Bandera (Cynodon dactylon)
- “A lawn grass favorite due to it’s texture and color” (Bermudagrass.com)
- “One of the most popular of the warm season grasses” (Bermudagrass.com)
- ” In winter, the grass becomes dormant and turns brown. Growth is promoted by full sun and retarded by full shade” (Wikipedia)
- It has a deep root system, which is good for drought situations.
Here is a picture of the turf from about a month ago at the Open House:
- If you are driving and tailgating, go early! The traffic around 9am seemed light, but by 9:20am, it started taking fans 45 minutes to travel the half mile stretch of Tasman from Lawrence to Patrick Henry. Check alternate routes, and check traffic load using Google Maps, or Waze (Google Apple). The routes that Levi’s Stadium suggested were all heavily in use.
- The bike check looked convenient, but very full. Get there early and you can even check your pedicab in!
- The VTA seemed to have added train cars to their light rails. Instead of the usual two trains, we saw some four car light rail trains.
- Drink plenty of water when you are at the game on warm days! If you are not used to being out in the sun, it will drain you! You are allowed to bring in sealed plastic bottles, and thermoses (no alcohol), as well as food and cut up fruit.
- We cannot emphasize this enough. Follow the NFL Bag guidelines! They are strictly following these rules.
Some highlights from the new Bourbon Steak & Pub at Levi’s Stadium:
- On non-game days, the drink prices are reasonable. On game days, expect all drink prices to double.
- Some of the favorite dishes of the night: the Ahi Tuna Tartare, the Lamb Burger, the Lobster Pot Pie, the pretzels, and there were raves about the Beignets with Macallan Butterscotch Custard and the Brown Butter Apple Crisp.
- They offered a complimentary trio of fries and dipping sauces to tables in the dining room. You may need to ask for it if you are eating at the bar.
- You can get a liter of Bud Light for $5 during happy hour, or a 40 oz (Brown Bag Special) Mickey’s for $12 at anytime.
- The specialty drinks are all made with extreme care. Expect a wait if it is busy. They were delicious though.
- Lots of TVs in the pub and in the dining area to keep up with your favorite team.
- Hang around and you may see Jed York, Michael Mina, or some of your favorite 49ers walking around. Eric Reid came by when we were eating!